Applications have now closed for 2016. If you are interested in joining the 2017 scheme, applications will open on 1 January 2017.
To be considered as a possible mentee on the John Schofield Trust mentoring scheme, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You must be working as a journalist in the UK, either employed or freelance.
- Candidates are expected to be in their first few years of professional life within broadcast and/or online journalism.
- The scheme is not designed to help those who are still in full-time education.
- You must agree that you will use the mentoring scheme for its proper purposes, and not abuse the contact with the mentors, who are helping us voluntarily.
- This year we are also offering 5 places to individuals who are currently on an apprenticeship or non-graduate training scheme. You must be 18 or over.
Being a John Schofield Trust mentee will put you in direct contact for a year with some of the leading journalists in British broadcasting. To help us make a fair selection from the applicants, we need you to provide three things:
1. A written answer, in 200 words, to the question why you think you would benefit from having a mentor.
2. We would like you to tell us about one story or assignment in your career so far where you have made a significant contribution to your employer’s news coverage. Tell us what your role was, and how you rose to the challenge. If you are an apprentice give examples of two stories you have worked on and what you have learnt. This needs to be no longer then 250 words.
3. We would like to see a supportive testimonial from an established senior journalist or journalism tutor – it might be a senior reporter, the editor of a publication you have worked on, or someone who has taught you on a recognised and accredited journalism course.
The selection panel is made up of the trustees and supporters of the Trust.
Only successful applicants will be notified.
The mentoring scheme is a 12-month commitment.
The closing date for applications is 31st January 2016.
To apply please click here and complete the form.